AUTUMN TERM = HALF TERMS 1 + 2
= ANGLO-SAXONS & VIKINGS
= "THE BIRTH OF A NATION"
In this term, we are tracing the history of Britain from 410AD through to 1066AD = from the departure of the Romans through to the arrival of the Normans and William the Conqueror - the first "English" King.(despite the fact that he came from France!)
We will study the invasion on the Anglo-Saxons, the formations of the seven kingdoms : Northumberland, Mercia, Kent, Wessex, East Anglia, Sussex and Wessex. We will study Kings and rulers (both good and bad).
* In our Writing, we will be telling tales of glory, woe and superstition, reporting on battles, weaving mysterious poems, exploring gods and goddesses, finding out the mystery of life and death and trying to puzzle with riddles and kennings.
* In Art & DT, we will be designing jewellery, musical instruments and creating coin pouches, shields and Hnefatafl Viking chess sets.
* In Maths, we will be developing our understanding of number, place value and the four basic operations (add, subtract, multiply and divide).
* In RE, we will be learning about which faiths are to be found in the UK and how they celebrate special events.
* In Science, we will be learning about sound and electricity.
* In Drama, we will be telling the tale of Beowulf, hero of the Geats and defeater of Grendel. We will also be learning more about the past and present of Viking York.
* ...which we will be visiting on a school trip to Jorvik Viking Centre.
* In PE, we will be developing ball skills, co-ordination and balance.
* In Music, we will be drumming and singing.
* In Computing, we will be developing media and programming skills.
Do you want to know what it's like being a Viking?
Here are some delicate lullabies - not - to get you in the mood!